Friday, January 5, 2018

Disney Quilt

I think we can all agree December was a busy month, right? As soon as we got back from our trip to Iceland-BOOM-the Christmas hustle was on. In my large family, we draw names to decide which sibling we buy for and this year I had to give a gift to my sister Courtney. When I asked her what she wanted, all she would tell me was that she wanted a Disney Quilt.
I always laughed at this answer because I didn't have a lot of time to make a quilt.
Between my 3 kids, trying to stay on top of housework, prepping for my Iceland trip, and the bitter cold just making me so darn tired, I really didn't think I would be able to get a quilt done by Christmas.
But she refused to give me any other Christmas gift ideas!  

Considering she did keep all THREE of my kids for the entire week I was in Iceland, how could I say no? I totally owed her. Actually I'll be forever indebted to her for that but hopefully this Disney quilt will help her forget how my youngest woke her up at 4am every.single.day that week!


So a Disney quilt is what the spoiled sister gets! ;) 
I'm not one who normally sews with character fabric. They tend to be quite whimsical so instead of trying to fight that, I embraced it. Courtney said she would love for the quilt to have lots of different characters in it so I just bought as much different types of disney fabric I could find and cut them down to make a scrappy quilt.

 Having so many different types and styles of characters of fabric, various colors, designs, it was darn near impossible to make it all match. I tried to pull them all together by creating a wild scrappy style quilt. As you already know, I love scrappy quilts and think this turned out pretty great.
 The quilt may appear quite busy, but it's a really fun quilt in that the closer you look, the more characters you can find. I guess it could be considered an "I-Spy" style quilt in that regard.

How many different characters can you spot in each small section of the quilt??




Since I was short on time, I made this quilt using the Quilt-as-you-go method. I really love this method because it makes the process go so much faster...or at least feel like it does. Quilting on my small standard machine can be intimidating so if i can break it down into smaller sections it helps a lot and helps me feel less overwhelmed about trying to maneuver a large quilt around my small machine.

It wrinkled up oh so nicely just as a good quilt should. 
Ready for snuggles, spring picnics, summer ball games, and more! 
 Of course I had to add in my favorite character-Stitch!! 

I hope you enjoyed the pics of my Disney quilt as much as my sister seemed to enjoy unwrapping this at Christmas!! 

Do you have someone who is a Disney fanatic like my sister?? 
Or are you one yourself? ;) 

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful and beautiful Quilt and anyone what love Disney would be in love of it.
    Thank you and awesome quilt. Judy

    ReplyDelete